Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mr. Congeniality : Alec van Dierendonck









Q&A
By Tiff of HERZEN Lifestyle Project

Height - 186cm
Nationality – Filipino
Home town - Davao City, Philippines
Birthday - November 6, 1984

1. When and how did you become a model?
Alec - It was a hot summer day in the Southern part of the Philippines in a place called Samal Island, a beautiful paradise with crystal clear water and a tropical heat atmosphere just off the coast of Davao City. I met fashion director Jacky Aquino and Keren Pascual. They invited me to Manila to be part of the BUM Equipment Show. It was a great experience and I wanted to stay and pursue the industry back then but, at that time I was finishing my studies in a university and I did not want to abandon it. Good thing I did not. Anyways it was the year 1996 the year me and my family migrated to the Philippines. I had to adjust to a complete different culture and mentality. I was born in the Netherlands in the place called Leiden. Life in Europe is a complete different story. So you can imagine the culture shock I had to face. It was a challenge and learning school. I had to learn the local languages and way of life. Over all it was one hell of a ride. After I graduated from college I moved to Makati (Philippines). In that same year I made my decision, I met the branch manager of Blue Brothers Inc. and he offered me to become part of the Mr. Lee campaign nationwide so I took his offer and went to Manila to do the project. During that project I met several people from the industry and it sort of had a snowball effect one thing lead to the other and I landed more modelling projects all around the metro. It was the beginning of a new chapter in my life.
- What a story! We love the fact that you pursued your studies first, a real role model!


2. What differs modelling from other careers?
Alec - Well first thing with modelling….It’s a passion and artistic life style you really have to want it and there will be a lot of challenges and disappointments along the way. Always keep a positive mind and constantly re-invent yourself without forgetting who you really are and where you’re coming from. Treasure your roots and keep your feet on the ground. It will help you in the long run to see the bright side of life. Another thing is be as diverse as possible and mix your interest up do different things so to speak. Don’t focus only on modelling because, it has a very short life span. It is also a very saturated industry and someday you’ll be a face out and new models will come and overrule the market. But never get discourage dare to be different and you’ll stand out. Coming back to the question modelling in other words is not a complete career it’s a hobby or passion that could be added to a long term goal. Always have a fall back and you’ll be fine.

3. What’s the best experience you've ever had from modelling?
Alec - My best experience was when I did the Nokia campaign in Vietnam in Saigon City. It was for the fashion series. A nationwide coverage.
-cool!!!

4. If you're not a model, what would you be doing right now?
Alec - I would be in the corporate world which I am now because modelling is a part time job for me at the moment. My real job is in the Pharmaceutical Industry and I do acting and photography too as a hobby. You can check out my website at www.alecvan.com just register your name and other details.
- Nice!

5. What countries have you been to?
Alec - Travels for modelling related jobs: Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and the Philippines
For business: I have travelled in Thailand, Cambodia, Bangladesh and India.
Personal travel: Asia: Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Bangladesh, India, Hong Kong, Macao. Africa: Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana. Europe: Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, England, Italy, Switzerland, Greece and Finland. South America: Ecuador
- A certified globetrotter!

6. Who’s your favourite model?
Alec - Adriana Lima
-VS angels are <3

7. What’s your personal style when dressing up?
Alec - I like to dress up in casual tropical wear like Hawaiian shirt and sometimes in formal black.
- Who doesn’t love the beach? :)

8. What’s your best asset?
Alec - My eyes.
- We’re lost....in your eyes! haha! We just love your gorgeous eyes!

9. What’s your advice to those aspiring models?
Alec - Be real and never think you’re in the clouds. Be humble and down to earth.



Alec is really a nice laid back guy amidst his heavyweight status. We really, truly, overly (and all the “ly”. lol) appreciated his being cooperative in this interview and for that we are grateful. Alec actually inspired us in a lot of things during this fun interview and we are really proud that he is our featured model today. To Alec, we are happy that you took time to answer our questions wholeheartedly, we wish you the best in all your good actions and we will be supporting you all the way! Thank you again!

Find more about Alec! Check out his site @
www.alecvan.com

[Photos from www.alecvan.com]_

No comments:

Post a Comment